Partnerships, Engagement, & Hiring Strategies
Minnesota State IT Center of Excellence helps build the IT talent of Minnesota by connecting employers with experienced IT students and current IT professionals.
Let us help you find high demand IT employees for your company through resources such as IT Connect, targeted events with diverse populations, and strategies to help you build a competitive edge.
Step 1) Start by creating your IT Connect: Collaborate account – This is the system we use to manage recruiting activities such as job and internship postings, electronic resume books, event registration, as well as groups and conversations with students on our online communications platform called IT Connect: Collaborate.
For Projected Hiring Needs – Build Your IT Pipeline
- Plan the timing of your recruiting activities around key dates and events. Start early!
- Make a plan to sponsor events that attract the kind of employees you are looking for.
Participate in MN State IT Center of Excellence Events
- Meet students face-to-face at events to find those who may meet your qualifications
- Build a positive brand through expanded visibility
- Sponsor targeted evets that your organization wants to support for future hiring needs
- Bring organizational leaders and representatives to the events your organization sponsors
Host an Information Session or Tour of your organization
- Promote your organization and meet prospective candidates
- Plan the timing of your info session to occur before your resume submission deadline
- Provide and arrange for transportation to have students tour your organization
- If your company is new to recruiting, information sessions would not be your sole recruiting strategy. It works after you have been in front of students branding your organization throughout the year.
Gain a Competitive Edge = Consistent & Expanded Engagement
- It could take up to 3 years of consistent engagement activities for an organization to build brand recognition and a strong, positive reputation with students. An inconsistent presence can bring you back to square one or even damage your brand.
- Develop a “pipeline” strategy based upon early identification programs (e.g., leadership programs, internships)
- Engage in a range of student engagement activities that can improve your brand image and create a buzz about your organization
- Get your Minnesota State alumni actively involved with recruitment
- Recruit for diversity and inclusion by creating a welcoming recruitment and work environment
Participate Regularly in MN State IT Center of Excellence Activities to Recruit
- Volunteer for panels, programs, competitions, mock interviews and workshops
- Meet and encourage prospective applicants at all events
- Encourage your organization’s leaders to participate in events
- Sponsor events to get your organization in front of students on a consistent basis
Collaborate with Student Organizations
- Ask your alumni, interns and career services office for recommendations to connect
- Offer to speak to student groups, co-sponsor an information session, or buy food for a student organization meeting
- Consider sponsoring a student organization; many clubs have a partnership program
Reach out to IT Faculty
- It’s not easy to get into the classrooms on any campus; relationships with faculty are often based on an academic or research focus.
- Offer to guest lecture on a hot topic or trend in Information Technology at your organization.
- Offer informational interviews for students with your employees.
- Leverage the relationships your alumni and/or senior executives have with faculty to get an introduction
- Be prepared to offer support for research or department initiatives